Saturday, July 8, 2017

Photo Shoot at the City of Refuge, Hawaii

I grew up in Hawaii. Well, actually, I spent my teenage years there. I guess we tend to consider teenage years as "our time". We have an affinity for the music of those years of our life and we identify with the culture of that bygone era. I recently went back to Hawaii to visit my folks and had the opportunity to wander around a bit at the City of Refuge and the Painted Church (different locations). 

The City of Refuge -- I love this place. All the visitors whisper as they walk about, soaking in the spirit and peace that permeates this ancient village. The City of Refuge is a very sacred place of second chances. Those accused of some wrong-doing could flee to this village and would be spared of their fate (if they made it). The Kahuna's were resonsible for all who lived there. The fugitives spent their days making atonement so as to be re-born, given a second life and a second chance.


These are just a few photos I took while visiting the City of Refuge and the Painted Church.  Uploading to YouTube affects the quality a bit but the essence remains. I chose to take many of the photos in black and white. I wanted to punch forth the lines and showcase the contrasts of the unique structures, giving a solidity to the gods. 

Thank you for watching!

(Please visit: AceOfWandsPhotography.com  Gallery for more prints, home decor and wall art)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Never Just A Chair

I love to photograph chairs. An empty chair speaks volumes about the past and about potential. People sit in chairs. The more people, the ...